Version 0.6 (for R# 6.1.1 / 7.0) does not work.

Topics: ReSharper test runner
Jul 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I had the previous version of this (installed in May this year) working within VS2010 / R# 6.1.3x) exactly as it should.

As soon as I installed / updated to this version all the test "dots" vanished from the left margin and the test runner no longer works. (Can no longer access the test run menu). There are no error messages.

Also tested with an installation of VS2010 under Windows 7 - the same - no test "dots" in the margin.

In both cases I followed installation to the letter. I never saw any Unblock button (extracted using Directory Opus unzip) so I assume the files are ok.

I have done this 3 times clearing out all the folders in between and re-booting but to no avail. Others have got this working so I'm either being really dumb or there's an install step being missed in the instructions.

Anyone know why this version is failing when the previous 6.1 worked?

Coordinator
Jul 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Is this running against 6.1? Are there any exceptions reported by ReSharper (little exclamation marks in the bottom right of the status bar?)

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Hi Matt,

ReSharper is version 6.1 Full Edition.  Actual version: 6.1.37.86  (Dated 2011-12-20 Time: 21:15:24).

No exclamation marks on the status bar. It's as though R# is just ignoring the xUnitContrib completely.

The previous version for 6.1 just worked immediately after installation and it was a fantastic time saver (for which I'd award it 5 stars) - unfortunately, I overwrote these early 2012 files when I installed the latest version so haven't been able to go back.

xUnit itself runs perfectly with both the xunit.console and xunit.gui executables (installed as External tools).

I have tried using:(Files = the entire xunitcontrib.runner.resharper.6.1 as specified)

1) Files in the Program files area (both in XP and Win7)

2) Files in the User area (both XP and Win7)

3) Files in both the above areas at the same time.

xunit.xml is here: E:\Program Files\JetBrains\ReSharper\v6.1\Bin\ExternalAnnotations\xunit.xml

(E:\ is the boot drive for XP).

Please let me know if you need further info.

James Tweedie @ GeoMEM

 

 

Coordinator
Jul 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Ah. This version of the plugin is for the released 6.1.1 (6.1.1000.82), which is a newer version than your 6.1.37.86 (yours is about 2 months older). Looks like the version you've got is 6.1, while this is for 6.1.1 (http://devnet.jetbrains.net/docs/DOC-280). You can get 6.1.1 as a free download from the homepage, and the 6.1 license will still work with it.

Let me know how this goes.
Matt 

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Duh!

Yes, that was it! My fault entirely - I should have checked that but thought I had the latest R# installed.

Thanks Matt - your help is much appreciated - changed my review !  Put review of my updating capabilities to one star ;).

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I just tried the latest runner against R# 7.0.86.x and Resharper fails to load in VS 2012 RC. It just silently fails; no dialogs or exceptions. I see R# options under tools > options but there is text that says "Resharper is not loaded but it is not suspended either; try suspend/resume to try again. It is probably a problem with the license file" (not verbatim.) It is definitely not the license because renaming the "plugins" folder where I have xunit runner restores functionality to R#.

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2012 at 8:56 AM

That's really odd. I haven't seen anything like that before. Can you run visual studio with the command line "/log /ReSharper.LogFile %TEMP%\resharper.log /ReSharper.LogLevel Verbose" and the xunitcontrib plugin such that resharper fails? Then check the resharper.log file in your %TEMP% folder and also the file %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ActvityLog.xml (open the xml file in IE, there's a stylesheet in the same folder that'll make it readable). See if there's anything in there that might show the issue - or attach them here (or create a gist or whatever)

Matt

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Right. Found the problem - the files need to be unblocked. Right click -> Properties and click Unblock. If they're already copied into Program Files, you'll need to copy them out first, as you won't have permissions to unblock where they are.

It looks like a bug in resharper 7 beta that causes the whole of resharper to not load properly. I've reported it, and it should get fixed before release.